Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The difference between seeing and doing.

Arriving in Atlanta, I had the assumption that our trip to Cape Town was just another People to People trip around the world. I was quick to discover that I was very wrong. I was embarking upon one of the most crucial experiences in my life, one that would help me better understand another culture, yet help me better understand my own culture as well.

I have also learned a lot about myself by seeing what others have or don't have. For instance, today we went to a place called Tsonga, a place of houses filled with varying economic statuses. The wealthy lived in homes costing approximately R 180,000 (around $30,000 US) - the price of a nice car back home. There were hostels, which were a step lower than what we know as small appartments; however, each housed 3 families in one room (they were built to house 2 - 3 men per room) and they shared all facilities from toiletries to kitchen use. The next step below the hostels were for the families that were in hostels but were fed up with them - as a result, they constructed "informal" houses. We, as Americans, would consider them 'shacks." Seeing the conditions in which they live really put things in perspective for me, but at the same time it added a different perspective and made me realize how ignorant so much of the US and other parts of the world are to the struggles and conditions these people face.

After Tsonga, we had a nice quiet lunch on our way to Mama Amelia's, a house in which a generous woman houses 95 orphans. At Mama Amelia's, we saw the house and played games with the children. For me, this is the hardest part, seeing the smiles on the children's faces while they are playing. I know that this may seem a little strange, but these children have nothign, not even hope, but this is the only life that they know. Therefore, they have no other alternative but to go on as best they can. This is what is sad to be because they worry about eating, losing their houses, goign to school, the simplest things. These are such basic necessities that many of us have come to take for granted. A typical day for me at home consisted of me working out, playing hockey, and thinking about my friends. After seeing these types of situations here in South Africa, I am ashamed to admit that. However, I am eternally grateful to know that I can help make a difference here. Whethere it is bringing awareness to perils they face, collecting supplies, or returning someday myself, every little thing counts.

After Mama Amelia's, we went to the hospital to learn about an HIV/AIDS clinic called "Kidspozitive". This only confirmed my desire to do more. HIV and AIDS affects over 25 million people in Africa, 5 million alone in South Africa. Astounding numbers, terrifying and shocking, but inspiring me to challenge myself to help.

I have learned so much about the history of South Africa and the resilient spirit of its people just in the short time I have been here. I have come to have a great deal of respect not only for its people but also its leaders because they are so passionate about their country that their leadership reflects the spirit of the people. I like to think of the struggles of South Africa aas running a race. THey knew where the finish line was but they were stuck at the starting line. The day in 1994 that Nelson Mandela cast the first vote in South African history celebrated the victory and establishment of democracy in their country. By casting that vote, Mandela fired the shotgun that sent the runners off. The people of Africa continue to run that race. Despite the difficulties they face, the people are making great strides towards urbanization and living standards with the help of love and peace. I truly believe they will make it, and when they come around the last turn and are in the straightaway they will finish strong with the help and support of their people, because of the vision and peseverence they showed in their fight for freedom.

I have come to realize that htis was not a trip but rather a mission. Our mission and our motto is "peace through understanding" but to achieve that goal we must first understand it before we can spread it. And having seen and experienced the things we have over these last few days here having little time for reflection in our busy days I realized that I have a responsibility as a human to love, respect and help others. I know how much this experience has meant to me and what I havetaken away from it that I truly believe I have benefited more than the kids we help. History helps us from repeating our mistakes but I believe that reading about events in a book is not enough. There is a difference between reading and actually seeing, but furthermore there is an even greater difference often overlooked. The difference btween seeing and doing.

-- Brandon E.

No comments: