Monday, July 25, 2005

St. Cyprian's, Robben Island, and Drum Cafe

Today was definately an amazing day. This morning we went to classes with the students from St. Cyprian's School. The first class I went to was "Maths" in which we studied how to solve equations by inspection. Next I went to History, in which we discussed Apartheid and whether it should be taught in grades 9 or 10. My partner was Katrin, who was very nice and very helpful.

My group then moved on to the UNESCO Slavery Workshop. We learned about the conditions the slaves were kept in, the differences between the meats the owners and the slaves ate, and the lineage of slaves all the way from today to the 1600s.

After lunch we took the bus to the V&A Waterfront and got on the ferry to Robben Island. We took a tour of the island: we saw the lime quary, the medium security prison, the house where a prisoner was kept for SIX years, not being allowed to speak to anyone. We also went on a tour of the Maximum Security Prison where Nelson Mandela stayed for 17 YEARS! It was absolutely AMAZING to see his and his friends' cells. Chills ran through me when we walked through the cells and saw the mats where they slept.

This day was fabulous and I will never forget it. On man who stayed with Nelson Mandela actually told us his story. It touched my heart deeply. This day is perfect to tell to my grandchildren in sixty years.

-- Kristin M.


Today we're going back to St. Cyprian's to be int he students classes. I got to give Thuli my gift! I got her a beanie baby bear and eagle, and "I heart NY" wristband, a "Big Apple" pen, a keychain, and a set of drumsticks that has patriotic stuff on it. :) Elizabeth (my roomie) thinks it's cool. I put in a little card too...

...I just got back from meeting with Thuli. She loves the gifts! I went to her math class, and they're doing algebra, so I felt smart! :) Then she had gym, but we left and walked and talked. They love 50 Cent & Ludacris. That's cool. It was interesting to hear what they though of us. They like David Beckham & Usher. I showed them pictures from my mini photo album. They think my dad :) and my friend are cute. It was a lot of fun. (If my mom and dad are reading) I love you guys but I still have to buy a phone card...

...By far the best part of Robben Island was meeting and talking to our tour guide, Kgotso "Glen" Ntsoelengoz. Now that's an interesting last name. When he was 15 in Soweto students protested that they didn't want to learn in Afrikaans (a Dutch-based language) so the government came and used guns, tear gas, and brute force to end the protesting. Many young people were killed. So later on he trained with the ANC as a soldier, as he said he couldn't sit back and do nothing. He wanted to be a part of the struggle. After his training in Botswana his unit was sold out by an insider. They all went to court and were found guilty and sentenced to 25 years each. Kgotso was only a few cells away from Nelson Mandela. He talked about things he wanted to see when he got out: the night sky and the stars. Just to see what they look like. People need to appreciate the little things. We also saw where Nelson buried a manuscript of his memoir "Long Walk to Freedom". It was a little corner of a garden, but he had another copy. He used the extra when the original was destroyed. It was amazing to see what Kgotso has been through and how it has changed for the better. To me, there were two major extremes: being tortured tot he point where you can't scream, and you can't cry, to having a little 7 year old girl that's his pride and joy. The best part is, when I asked him for his full name at the end, he said "You will not forget me." I never will. Now I really wish we could go to Soweto...

...I feel so hyped up! Woot woot! We ate at our braii with the St. Cyprian's students and got to know one another. Fun fun. Then we had the Drum Cafe visit us! My fellow marching band kids will be proud. Go East Ramapo! We got authentic drums and had a big party! It was a lot of fun and all of our hands are turning colors. Then I went up for a solo thing with some other peeps and danced all over the place. I then passed my maracas off to Will for his turn to dance. The rest is history.

-- Veronica A.

****

We have taken a million pictures, but haven't been able to upload them yet. However, we should be able to get them online on Wednesday, so stay tuned!!!

No comments: