Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Life-changing moments.

On the plane from Johannesburg to Cape Town, a man sitting behind me asked what my business was in South Africa. Well, that's easy, I began, I was part of a group of students from around the US to actively experience the culture, history, and people of South Africa. I continued to rattle off on how we would be doing some local philanthropic, work when he stopped me in mid-sentence. "Why?" he asked.

I stopped dead in my verbal tracks. That one word rang in my ears and in the silence that followed. It still burns in my heart today. "I don't know." I answered. To make a difference - I could have said - to learn something new, to help someone in need - ANYTHING but "I don't know."

But then again, how would I have known then the burning in my soul now? How could I hoave known my true intentions since the match of passion had not yet stuck? Truely, I had come to see something I have not before, but now I understand I was meant to be here to feel something I hadn't before. To feel the anguish and celebration from Robben Island, to feel the welcome joy at St. Cyprian's, to feel the hand of a child grasping mine to run and play basketball on a make-shift court, to feel the hot tears running down my face at St. George's Cathedral after hearing about the struggles of apartheid. How could I have known?

Today has been memorable. It has been life-changing. Eye-opening. Ground-breaking. Cataclysmic. In short, fabulous.

To those who made it possible for us to be here, I want to thank you. On behalf of all us students, we are eternally grateful. Why did you allow your sons and daughters to go on this far-away journey? You don't know? I hope, like me, you know now why we are here - not only to change the lives of those around us, but to have our own lives changed.

-- Heather M.

Today I really enjoyed the exhibit The Hands that Shape Humanity, an exhibit featuring more than 50 of the greatest humanitarians. It seemed to inspire everyone to reach their potential. I loved how some of the people recognized were not those one would normally think of. We also met with an Anglican Reverand. It struck me how she spoke of the Day of Purple Rain, in which the South African government sprayed purple paint over all protesters. It was as if the government needed a new skin color (purple) to objectify their fellow countrymen. However fulfilling those things were, our trip inside the heart of Cape Town's poverty was even more astonishing. Children walked around barefoot, hungry, and only had a small metal hoop to shoot basketballs through, yet still smiling. Although several of us left somewhat depressed, we were intently motivated to raise awareness.

It seems that the days just get better as they pass, so we all (however tired we may be) cannot wait to wak up every morning.

-- Lindley

Today was another amazing day in Cape Town. Rev. Villien Harber shared her anti-apartheid experience with us. It was a great experience to hear what great experience to hear what Rev. Harber actually went through herself. The exhibit of "Hands that Shaped Humanity" was interesting to actually see who are well-known activists. Each exhibit had qotes from the various activists that has a general meaning in today's society. One quote that was stated by Desmond Tutu is "The one who is your enemy is really a friend waiting to be made." Can be applied to the past and the present.

After the exhibit we took the bus to Green Market Square right in the Center Town of Cape Town. Each person was able to buy a lot of African gifts to take back to the U.S. Once we arrived in the township of Khilasheia we made our way to the primary school in the area. The children welcomed us with open arms and were so happy they had visitors. Hoops for Hope is a wonderful organization for young children in the townships. They shared their 7 keys to success with us and even did different basketball strategies with the children. They were having so much fun with us playing basketball with them.

Tonight we watched "Yesterday" which was a true based South AFrican movie that gives a perfect example of what Africans go through when it comes to AIDS/HIV. Most people were very overwhelmed with how HIV/AIDS can change a person's life. Today was a very heartwarming day.

-- Sasha S.

Of all the powerful things that we have experienced so far on this trip, today's schedule blew the others out of the water. We had the priviledge to visit a school where the "Hoops for Hope" program was in action. This program teaches life skills to underpriviledged children through basketball, and it was an honor to be part of such a worthy cause. When our bus pulled up to the school, we were greated by many adorable, smiling faces. Less than 5 minutes into the visit, we were all enchanted by these vibrant and cheerful children. The simple pleasure they took in spending an afternoon playing basketball was overwhealming, and it was an experience we will never forget.

-- Lexie K.

No comments: